Radial Distribution Chambers (UFO)
The radial distribution chambers (UFO) are designed to transfer samples between multiple preparation and analysis chambers that are connected to it.
The chambers are normally mounted at the centre of a series of chambers, acting as a central distribution hub for cluster tools.
• Standard or telescopic transferring arm
• By rotating only one rotary feedthrough you can move the transfer arm in and out, rotate the sample holder around the arm axis, rotate the mechanism between transfer ports and lock/unlock the sample holder.
• Chamber body diameters from 550 to 1200 mm (can be customized)
• Configured with TSP and transfer mechanism with rack-and-pinion rotary motion feedthrough
• Time to transfer between two chambers < 45 sec. (manual mode) - fast transfer time allows cold samples to stay cold (temperature rise also depends on initial temperature and heat capacity)
• Fast & reliable drop-proof transfer of hot & cold samples
• Up to 8 transfer positions to other UHV chambers with automatic sample positioning
• Guaranteed base pressure: 10-11 mbar range after 48h of bakeout. 10-10 mbar during transferring
• Numerous viewports
• Equipped with UHV connecting flanges and additional ports for future versatility
• Can be equipped with application matched vacuum pumps to achieve the best pressure range (e.g. turbo, ion, getter or titanium sublimation pumps)
The transportation and rotating mechanism of the RDC chamber provides repeatable and accurate sample transfer to other chambers. The radial distribution chamber mechanism is a development of the linear rack-and-pinion transporter, where a single ended rack-and-pinion is precisely rotated by a precision rotary drive until it is aligned in a preset position at a radial port. Once locked into position, the same rotary drive transfers the rack out through the port.
• R1 axis rotation (90° left, 90° right, 180°). Rotation is independent for each port.
Radial Distribution Chamber design allows to transfer a wide range of various sample holders:
• PTS, flag style, puck style, deposition or special design holders up to 8”
• Heating by direct, indirect or e-beam methods up to 2000°C
• High cooling efficiency down to 4.8 K (LHe)
• Dedicated for e.g. quartz balance, Faraday cup, high pressure reactors, powder materials, IR spectroscopy and many others
Principles of Operation
|Travelling flange||DN 63CF - DN 160CF|
|Viewport flange||DN 160CF|
|Chamber diameter||550 - 1200 mm (other on request)|
|Max transfer length Z||395 - 904, depends on chamber diameter, transferring arm and sample holder type (other on request)|
|Positional control||manual / semi-motorised (option) / motorised (option)|
|Bakeout temperature||up to 150°C|
|Chamber diameter D [mm]||Maximum transfer length Z [mm]|
|for PTS (1") sample holders||for flag style sample holders|